Blog #2

Through out my years school so far MS Word has played a fairly large role in my education. Though, for a while in HS my school strictly used google docs so we stopped our use of MS Word, even though the two are pretty similar. Most of my teachers enjoyed Word more then Docs because they had used Word their whole career and had to change it to adjust to the new rules in my school district.  Coming to college there was a shift for me since I hadn't really used Word in HS and now most of my teachers prefer Word and make us turn papers in in a certain Word format.

My HS was very strict when it came to copyright and citing where we got our info from. We had an academic integrity rule about copying but also citations and using turnitin.com for our papers. Coming to FSU the two weeks of my English class was primarily focused on teaching us how to properly cite and covered the rules of FSU regarding copyright. As a teacher I think that these rules are a hassle but they're necessary for keeping teachers on their game and being creative by creating their own work and teaching what works best for their students. When it comes to students I feel like these rules help teach students at a young age how to cite and realize that they can't take someone else work.

Before this I never realized some of the issues that came along with the implementation of technology in a classroom. Some issues specifically for what I want to teach (elementary ed) could be cyberstalking but it could be resolved by me teaching my kids early on with examples of how they should but their name, address, etc. on the internet because of stalkers. Another problem could be hacking and malware and that could be solved by teaching my kids how they shouldn't open up tabs and maybe do an exercise showing them which types of websites not to open. One last issues could be copyright which can be solved by me teaching my kids about turnitin.com or showing them a video of how you cants copy someones work with out giving them credit.

Comments

  1. I agree, teaching lessons about plagiarism seems like a hassle but it's very important! Turnitin.com is also a great tool to prevent copyrighting in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your solution for the cyberstalking issue. It can be hard sometimes for younger kids understanding what personal information is okay and not okay to post and I think learning that as a young age is important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #9